Saturday 17 February 2018

Self Expression Journal

I watch a lot of YouTube tutorials and videos about creativity and more recently about journaling.  In addition to keeping a diary or notebook, I have discovered there is now a whole world of different ways to journal including art journals, junk journals, smash books, glue books, sketch books, doodle books and a whole lot of varying reasons for doing so.  I have felt quite overwhelmed with  information on how to do it, when all I want to do is create without pressure, without being judged purely to satisfy my need for self expression.  I often thought there was a 'right' way to journal - there isn't. 

Back to basics, I am using an A5 watercolour notepad and watercolour paints.  I am going through the notepad to 'prepare' the pages for journaling.  By this I mean that I am going through the book, saturating pairs of pages with water and then letting the paint do its thing without much interference from me.  Once the book has no scary blank pages left I will write my thoughts, quotes that mean something to me, poems and maybe some sketches on the painted pages.  There is no time frame for this.  I will add something to the book as and when I feel the need to.  The contents of the book will be entirely unique.  My self expression in a book.


8 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing how you do this as it is something I have been attempting for years and not actually getting far with. I like the idea of watercolouring the pages so they are not blank and scary as I feel I don't want to "spoil" a pristine new page with whatever I write so this might be the answer! Go for it and report back please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No rules sounds good......just do your own thing Simone!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is such a good idea, I like the idea of preparing the pages to make them less scary....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea, Simone.
    Great idea to prep the pages with color. I agree - blank pages are frightening!
    Good luck with this project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you and Marigold Jam, I have been trying to make a journal for years and never have because I don't want to spoil the pages of a gorgeous well made note book, but this has given an idea.

    Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blank pages can be very daunting can't they? Great idea to make your own patterns on them first. You will find them much easier to fill with your thoughts and words afterwards:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely idea Simone - it will be a journal to treasure when you have completed it even if you only write one word on each page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea, Simone! I'm so glad that you found something that will work for you.

    Nice catching up on blog reading. It's been ages since I've just sat down to read blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!