Sunday 2 April 2017

17th Century Tunes - La Bourrée

Since reading fictional stories of the 17th century I have developed a bit of a 17th century obsession.  I am immersing myself in finding out about the physicians and herbalists such as Nicholas Culpeper, astrologers,botanists and artists of the day.  It must have been wonderful to have lived in the Dutch golden age of artists such as Rembrandt, Vermeer and Rachel Ruysch but not so wonderful to have lived in England during the plague, the English civil war between royalists and parliamentarians and the Great Fire of London.

I was pleasantly surprised to find some 17th century music on YouTube today.  It was much more jolly and uplifting than I imagined!  I could quite easily have this music on in the background whilst I whip up a still life in oils.  It wouldn't have the expertise and finely honed skills of a Rachel Ruysch but I could alway pretend that it did!

3 comments:

  1. This to me is one of the joys of reading. I often find myself getting maps and reference books out when reading, its a good way to learn. I've found out numerous things like this.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny how one thing leads to another and you find yourself going off in a direction you didn't expect and learning lots of news things along the way!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely and uplifting, I like Early Music and I've heard this one played by a local band to us called Piva. I can imagine you dancing a 'pavanne' down a long gallery in a stately home somewhere:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!