Tuesday 7 February 2017

A Personal Manifesto

Today I  rediscovered my Tome for Life at the bottom of a large pile of unsorted bric-a-brac.   I started a 'Tome for Life' or Simone's daily 'bible' back in September 2012.  You can read about it here. 

Flicking through the pages I came across a personal manifesto that I had written.  I can't remember where I found the guidelines for writing a personal manifesto, but recall that it is a declaration of your core values and beliefs, what you stand for, and how you intend to live your life.  I thought I would share some of my personal manifesto with you.

  • I shall cultivate peace of mind.  I know that I can change the way that I feel at any moment, simply by changing my thoughts.

  • 'I intend to enrich my mind by reading books.' James Allen (philosopher).

  • I shall improve myself every day in some way, whether it's by dropping a negative belief, learning a new word, or adding to my knowledge of the World.

  • I shall not take things personally.  I know that what others say and do is a projection of their own reality; it has nothing to do with me. 'Expecting the World to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.' Dennis Wholey.

  • I shall make home sacred space. 'Home interprets heaven' Charles Henry Parkhurst.

  • I shall see mistakes as feedback, I will adjust my aim, and I will try again.  'Failure, repeated failures, are finger posts on the road to achievement.  One fails forward towards success.' Charles F Kettering.


The above words are just a snapshot of my values and how I want to live my life.  It is a pity that the words were tucked away in Simone's daily 'bible' which I had totally forgotten about!  I will make a concerted effort to look at this book daily and see how much I am adhering to my manifesto. 

If you are feeling lost or looking for a frame for your life, I recommend a personal manifesto for moving forward. Just don't do as I do and forget to read it!

6 comments:

  1. Some very wise words there Simone that we all could learn from!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number four rang a bell with me as I do always analyse things people say and take some things personally which I shouldn't do. A good list of things to remember and work on, Simone:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting list...would love to cultivate peace of mind and not take things personally but don't know how.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wealth of wisdom here Simone.....useful for many of us, I am sure!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many wise words, this is definitely a book which you need to leave out and it can then be glanced at every day. I have written out some daily affirmations which I read aloud to try and give me focus, I don't always do it but when I do I notice a difference in myself.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry I've been off the grid for a few days and missed this, Simone. Very wise words - I could adopt them myself! I too have some gems I've written down, but forgotten. They will probably turn up when I've done some sorting out!! x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated on this blog so it may be a while before your comment appears. I will try to leave a response to your comment where possible. Thank you so much for reading!